Sunday, November 12, 2017

Family is such a treasure!

💕This lovely couple, my grandparents, have been married for over 46 years!💕
  I am one of those blessed people who has been able to witness my kids love on my grandparents and hear the same stories they told me as a kid through fresh ears as they share them with my kids.
2011 Tea Party with Danae
2002 Roughhousing with Allison
I've been able to "turn the other way" as my Grandpa eats the vegetables off their plates so they can have dessert and hear the rhythmic sounds of the rocking chair as my Grandma rocks my babies.
2011 singing & rocking Danae
2002 Playing & Rocking Allison


I've gotten to see my grandparents faces light up with love and delight as my kids walk up to hug their necks and hear the joy in their voices as I share the antics of my kids during phone calls.
Three Generations in 2002 (first grandchild/great-grandchild)
I got a "late for a grandparent" call from my grandma around 7:30 Monday night and I hesitantly answered, expecting bad news. It was just my grandma calling to talk but she also mentioned her nose bleeds. It turns out she's been having problems with high blood pressure that have caused nose bleeds that go on for days, despite packings, clips and new blood pressure meds. While on the phone with her, I could here my grandpa, who has dementia among other issues, in the background reminding her not to touch her nose. It amazes me the things that he remembers and the things that slip his mind. But here he was reminding her not to cause the 4 day nosebleed to get worse as she subconsciously touched her face. We had a good conversation!

At some point early the next morning, my grandpa who lacks balance due to his shrinking brain, decided to get up on his own. My exhausted 90 year old grandma heard him stirring and told him to wait for help but my compassionate and independent grandpa tried to do things on his own. He worries about wearing her out with the amount of help he needs and they made a wise choice years ago to move into an assisted living center so tgat one or both would have the help they need as they progressed in their golden years. This time, my grandpa's Independence or forgetfulness of the amount of help he needs got the better of him and he fell, breaking his c6 clear through and dislocating his c7. It breaks my heart to think of what must gone through their heads as they waited for help to arrive (something that happened much faster due to their living arrangements). With my grandpa's advanced state of dementia, his other health complications and the extreme difficulty & length of a corrective surgery followed by what would be a 6 month plus recovery, surgery to correct his broken neck isn't an option. He is currently in a neck brace with instructions not to move his head/neck in the slightest bit. His wishes, made out well in advance, are for no invasive or life saving measures. Comfort measures, time and prayer are all that can be done. 🙏 This is heartbreaking and obviously an added stress to someone already dealing with uncontrolled high blood pressure.
As I was reading the Bible this morning I was taken to Philipians 4:19 which says,
" And MY GOD will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." As I read the rest of Philippians 4 I come across other verses that spoke to my heart. Philipians 4:6-7

And not too far after, Philipians 4:13 says, "“For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” Then I was taken to a small part of Psalm 23 in verse 5 that says, "“You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings.” But I can't just read one verse of Psalm 23...it's my favorite chapter. It brings me such peace and brings back memories of other trials in life that God has been faithful during. “The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the Lord forever.”‭‭I don't know what the future holds for my grandparents but I'm boldly asking in the mindset of a child that God would provide a miracle. I have peace in this situation, no matter what God's answer is. Will you boldly pray with me for my grandparents?


No comments:

Post a Comment